WELCOME TO THIS SERIES!
In this dhamma study series on the DIGHAJANU SUTTA, we will study about eight things that The Buddha says lead to the welfare and happiness of a layperson in this life and the next life.
Topics that we will study and discuss in this series are:
- What is true happiness of a layperson
- How to be successful at the job and career
- The workplace is a setting for mindfulness practice
- The workplace is a teacher and place to observe the mind
- Why is “Right Intention” and initiative important in the job
- What does it mean to protect and guard your job and career
- How do you respond when you lose your job
- The importance and necessity of noble friendships
- Why it is so important to stay connected with those with dhamma mind
- How to live a simple life with contentment and few needs
- How to balance spending money and save for a crisis
- The importance practicing morality (sila) each day
- Understanding kamma in the workplace and job
- Ways to cultivate wisdom and discernment in the workplace
- Why is generosity and compassion at the job important
- Cultivating faith and meditation practice as layperson
- Can a layperson be enlightened
- How to balance meditation practice and career
We hope you find this series meaningful and helpful in your training and practice.
The Daily Dhamma Study Team.
The DEEP DIG study is focused on the content and original teachings of The Buddha in the suttas. The goal is to understand and gain insights from them.
This is done by using scholarly ‘exegetical’ practices for ancient texts. This consists of a holistic understanding of all suttas in the Tipitaka. It includes reviewing cultural settings, historical use of words, and other ancient texts at the time of The Buddha’s teachings.
Click the picture for the DEEP DIG Dhamma Study.
The PALI LEAGUE is the study of key Pali words found in the sutta of the current study series. The Pali words and phrases help to better understand the original meaning of The Buddha’s teachings.
Studying the Pali text also helps to expand and more accurately understand the sutta without the limitation of one or two English translations.
Click the picture for the PALI LEAGUE Dhamma Study.
The DAILY CUSHION is focused on sharing insights from the sutta text that can be useful in meditation practice.
During the study series, meditation teachers will share insights about the daily topic or sutta stanza and how to apply it in the meditation time on the cushion. The meditation will conclude with a ‘self-guided’ meditation practice on that topic.
Click the picture for the DAILY CUSHION post.
The DHAMMA IN ACTION is a very practical approach to reading and studying the sutta. The purpose of this section is to use a life scenario situation that is easily understood in real life.
These situations are to help see how the sutta and teachings apply to real life with family, friends, work, the Sangha, ’cause and effect’, etc.
Click the picture for the DHAMMA IN ACTION posts.
Latest Posts from Our Blog
DIGHA NIKAYA 11 – Kevaṭṭa Sutta “The Ending of Name (mind) & Form (body)” by Steve Lin ” When he said this, I said to him: ‘Once upon a time, mendicant, some sea-merchants set sail for the ocean deeps, taking with them a land-spotting bird. When their ship was out of sight of land, they released theContinue reading “THE DAILY CUSHION”
DIGHA NIKAYA 10 – Subha Sutta “DEEP BLISS ARISES WHEN THE FIVE HINDRANCES END” by Brad Hunter “In the same way, as long as these five hindrances are not given up inside themselves, a mendicant regards them as a debt, a disease, a prison, slavery, and a desert crossing. But when these five hindrances are givenContinue reading “THE DAILY CUSHION”
DIGHA NIKAYA 9 “LETTING GO OF DOUBTS & VIEWS” by Sumith Siriwardana “Potthapada—having other views, other practices, other satisfactions, other aims, other teachers—it’s hard for you to know whether perception is a person’s self or if perception is one thing and self another.” “ Well then , lord, if—having other views, other practices, other satisfactions, otherContinue reading “THE DAILY CUSHION”